[16NG] Re: suggest separation of IPv4 from document (was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00.txt)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Fri, 15 December 2006 14:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:06:17 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: 16ng@ietf.org
Subject: [16NG] Re: suggest separation of IPv4 from document (was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00.txt)

Also, I would like to suggest separation of the IPv4 section 8.1 "IPv4
over Ethernet" from the document, and title the document "IPv6 over...".

The reason is simple - simplicity, easier to deal with shorter documents.

For example, the current section 8.1 suggests that it is sufficient to
implement IPv4 over 802.16 ETH CS by looking at RFC 894 and RFC 826
(IPv4 over Ethernet and ARP specs, respectively).

However, when writing an implementation of IPv4 over ETH CS an important
parameter is the Ether type.  For IPv6 it's simple - it's 0x86DD for
_all_ IPv6, ND included, spec'd in rfc2464.  But for IPv4 it's 0x800
(spec'ed in rfc894) and ARP it's 0x806.  This latter figure doesn't
figure neither in RFC 894 nor 826.  So one would have to dig the
ethertypes on the Internet find out that type.  The draft spec would be
insufficient.

Another major difference between IPv6 and IPv4 is in the tratment of
link-layer multicast.  For example, IPv4 doesn't take into account
link-layer multicast, and only cares about broadcast link-layer
addresses (0xff...).  IPv6 on the contrary, only considers multicast
link-layer addresses (0x33...).  These are aspects that should be
accounted for in the IPv-over documents. I don't think mixing them
together in one document is simple enough.

Alex