[16NG] distributed (decentralised) ASN for voip over wimax

Frits Haas <frits.haas@smilecoms.com> Tue, 29 July 2008 07:08 UTC

To: 16ng@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:07:02 +0200
From: Frits Haas <frits.haas@smilecoms.com>
Subject: [16NG] distributed (decentralised) ASN for voip over wimax
Sender: 16ng-bounces@ietf.org

Hi All,
I hope someone can answer a question I have that some of the top vendors
such as Motorola, Huawei and Nokia Siemens are battling to give me a
straight answer to.

We are in the process of rolling out a 2.5 wimax network, designed purely
around offering VOIP.

With the current ASN/AAA architecture, all traffic is aggregated at the CORE
ASN, which means everything needs to be backhauled to the central ASN. This
poses an extremely difficult scenario for us, as transmission costs are very
high in the countries that we would like to launch our network (mostly
Africa).

One solution would be a kind of distributed ASN architecture, to minimise
backhaul traffic.
Better yet, each BTS is able to route or switch voip packets to its
destination, alleviating the need to backhaul the entire voice stream.
Granted, you still need the AAA to authenticate, and the billing system
needs to be aware of the call, but that traffic is minimal.

The question is, is anyone (vendor or otherwise) looking into designing or
creating such a model with their equipment, and if so, what would the
different solutions entail?
My theory is that a simple router at each BTS (Base station) would be able
to solve the problem.

Your questions and comments most welcome.

kind regards,
:) Frits
Frits Haas
Senior Manager: Core IP Network Architecture
Mobile: +27 (0) 83 280 8284 or +27 (0) 82 784 3248
Fax: +27 (0) 8663 20 620
Email and MSN : Frits.Haas@smilecoms.com
Disclaimer  http://www.smilecoms.com/disclaimer