Re: [5gangip] New Version Notification for draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-02.txt

AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com> Tue, 28 February 2017 14:50 UTC

From: AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com>
To: Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:50:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.60.203]
Cc: "5gangip@ietf.org" <5gangip@ietf.org>, "sarikaya@ieee.org" <sarikaya@ieee.org>, "Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de" <Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de>
Subject: Re: [5gangip] New Version Notification for draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-02.txt

Thanks John,

I was not advocating a specific solution but pointing out that something  " BGP like ", i.e. a distributed protocol between islands of 5G would be required rather than another level of hierarchy. My point was that there was no discussion of this item in the document and that since the IETF is pretty good at this sort of thing it would seem that perhaps a discussion of this issue should be in the document. My guess is that the IETF leadership is looking to understand what issues will require new work and then which groups are best suited to deal with them so if you agree that the problem is real and needs addressing then a section on this with some guidance would likely be very useful.

One quibble, while there may be 100's of billions of 5G devices it is expected that most of them won't require mobility but I agree it's still a daunting problem.

Peter