Re: [5gangip] [lisp] Bandwidth savings with LISP

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Mon, 04 July 2016 11:50 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Dino Farinacci' <farinacci@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 13:50:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [5gangip] [lisp] Bandwidth savings with LISP

Hi, Dino.

We have also previously thought on the potential utility of multiplexing in mobility scenarios.

For example, in PMIPv6 (standardized by the concluded IETF NETLMM Working Group), some tunnels are created between the Local Mobility Anchor (LMA, running in the P-GW) and the Mobile Access Gateway (MAG, running in the Serving Gateway). See the scheme in
http://openairinterface.eurecom.fr/openairfiles/DOCS.pmipv6/html/html/main.html. Perhaps multiplexing in those tunnels could make sense, as they include the traffic of many mobile nodes. The same tunnel is used for m mobiles (a 1:m relation, see http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=4492976&tag=1).

> I have been told that the Radio Access Network (RAN) tends to be sensitive
> to overlay solutions due to large headers. I have also heard that there seems
> to be queuing behavior for the base-stations that send to UEs (i.e. phones). The
> fact that queuing is happening while waiting for a handoffs to occur can be a good
> opportunity to pack IP packets into super-frames to send over the RAN.

So what you propose is to take the packets waiting in the queue, and to aggregate them into bigger ones, before sending them to the mobile node right?

Could this fit with other use case? In http://research.cisco.com/pdfs/LISP-MN%20mobile%20networking%20through%20LISP.pdf
(page 9), a LISP-based mobility scheme is explained in detail:

	In this section we describe the handover process in LISP-MN. When a MN
	changes its attachment it regains connectivity in a new subnetwork. It first
	obtains a new RLOC and, as described in section 2.3.1, it notifies the new
	EID-to-RLOC binding to its Map-Server. The MN has to update also all the
	bindings stored in the Map-Cache of the peers, either routers or nodes, with
	which it is communicating. In order to do it uses the special signalling message
	called Solicit-Map-Request (SMR). The reception of such message triggers a
	Map-Request to refresh the binding (...).

Would it make sense to also multiplex packets waiting before the EID-to-RLOC binding is updated?

> Using this solution means the eNodeB (base-station) and the UE (phone) would
> have to run LISP. I would like to hear comments from the WG. I have copied
> 5gangip to see if they have opinions.
>
> Dino

Thanks!

Jose
PS: If you could detail a bit more the use case you are talking about, it would be fine.