Re: [69ATTENDEES] hand drums?

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Fri, 27 July 2007 11:13 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
To: 69attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [69ATTENDEES] hand drums?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:10:27 -0500

Hi, Jeff,

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Jeff Hodges wrote:
>
>> who was it that brought the hand drums this eve (yes, i shud know yer
>> name,
>> sorry)?
>
> Jeff,
>
> That would be Spencer Dawkins and we all just sort of join in...
>
> Ole

And thanks to others who joined in, at this and previous IETFs. This was the
first IETF where we had attendee kids joining us - Mary Barnes' youngest, on
Monday night, IIRC. I look forward to having Darwin join us.

And please note that there is no audition required - we have enough to
share...

This tradition started at IETF 41 in LA. I had attended JavaOne the previous
week in San Francisco, and had purchased a doumbek that I happened to be
carrying when I met Aaron Falk - Aaron is also a drummer, so while we were
co=chairing PILC, we started every working group meeting with a short
drumming break.

Although we were also drumming at plenaries, we stopped this practice as a
courtesy during the ADMIN-REST period, because everyone who had been
participating in ADMIN-REST discussions seemed to arrive at the plenary with
a severe headache.

My favorite memories, and there have been a bunch of them, were

(1) drumming at the park outside the hotel in Oslo at about 1 AM (in late
July, it was still "day"-light) and the only reason we stopped at 1 AM was
because it started to rain,

(2) drumming at the park outside the hotel in Washington, DC (Aaron had
driven his family down, so was able to bring a large djembe in the car),

(3) drumming at the entertainment park during the social in Orlando - I
still had my doumbek cover then, and someone left a dollar bill on it while
we were playing. That's the entire salary I've collected as a drummer after
turning 18, and Aaron and I tore it in half - I still have my half.

(4) getting stopped in airport security in Yokohama (aluminum doumbeks look
quite "interesting" when you x-ray the bag they are in - I was best able to
explain to the nice Japanese security types by just playing the drums,
standing in the checkpoint area).

I've mostly moved to small frame drums for IETFs, because they are so easy
to pack. At this IETF, I had four frame drums (three nested), one
tambourine, one Pandeiro (looks like a tambourine, but the jingles are
"choked", so they don't have the same bright tinkling sound), and a brass
doumbek - and could carry all of them in one hand.

So - a couple of things "in advance" -

(1) I'd like to invite people to bring small hand drums to Vancouver - see
you there, and

(2) I'd like to apologize to my current co-chair, Eric Burger, who was not
warned about my drumming past during discussions with Jon about adding me as
co-chair.

Thanks,

Spencer