Re: [69ATTENDEES] IETF in the local news

Lloyd Wood <lwood@cisco.com> Sat, 28 July 2007 16:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:33:55 +0100
To: Richard Barnes <richard.barnes@gmail.com>, 69attendees@ietf.org
From: Lloyd Wood <lwood@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [69ATTENDEES] IETF in the local news
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=7453; t=1185640469; x=1186504469; c=relaxed/simple; s=amsdkim2001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=lwood@cisco.com; z=From:=20Lloyd=20Wood=20<lwood@cisco.com> |Subject:=20Re=3A=20[69ATTENDEES]=20IETF=20in=20the=20local=20news |Sender:=20; bh=vs+jAarNQHqQv1+AyN72gokPrjSmw5KLg/9IJUhf5sw=; b=HnYme3d9rPv4SIMDFcDb9bG5iC67BA9yhlnS/UU4yBw7AudIDgMBn/IC6u8ggS6xwrLGLRnp gLK4Blv29OqDrGIkDNUV9Q/xKqRgniF+XzZhSb0K1GzMw8UdpgQ6KRTu;

At Friday 27/07/2007 08:53 -0500, Richard Barnes wrote:
>This article was in the local paper this morning.  Saw it in hard copy
>on the IETF message board, but here's an electronic version.  Copied
>from:
><http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/premium/printedition/Friday/chi-fri_netheadsjul27,0,2758439.story>
>--Richard

Worth pointing out that the article made page 1 of the Chicago Tribune, left-hand column.

An article in the same issue debates celebrity deaths, and whether they should feature on the front page.

Thus, the IETF meet ranks with Marilyn Monroe.

L.

> [...]
>suggestions, and while they need not be professional engineers, they
>do have to have a deep understanding of technical issues and language.
>
>"No one is going to ask to see your diploma," said Olaf Kolkman, chief
>of NLnet Labs in Amsterdam. "Anyone can participate."
>
>Kolkman said some people he has never met have made comments and
>suggestions online that have been incorporated into standards. Some
>engineers who attend the meetings have no affiliation with any
>company. A few made big bucks during the dot-com boom, retired early
>and participate in the task force as a hobby, said Housley.
>
>The engineers discuss suggestions and reach what they call a "rough
>consensus and running code," meaning that most go along with a
>solution that works. All the work is published online as engineers
>make comments and revisions.
>
>Tasks on their plate include revising standards so that equipment
>exploring Mars can send photos back to the Internet for researchers to
>see immediately. Problem is, computers are used to things happening in
>seconds or milliseconds and it takes about four minutes for a bit to
>travel from here to Mars, so adjustments are in order.
>
>There's also a push to improve Internet telephony so that calls aren't
>dropped because computers lose track of the identity of the machines
>they are communicating with.
>
>The group, started with a meeting of 21 people in 1986, strives for a
>type of anarchy that mirrors the Internet itself but does rely on a
>certain amount of organized support.
>
>The Internet Society, a not-for-profit organization based in Reston,
>Va., provides logistical support for task force gatherings and
>recruits sponsors. Cell phone-maker Motorola Inc. picked up much of
>the tab for the Chicago meeting, and AT&T Inc. donated high-speed
>lines to bolster the Palmer House Hilton's communications systems.
>
>Bringing 1,200 Internet-obsessed engineers into a hotel for a week
>creates a communications demand that would cause an ordinary system to
>crash in an hour or two, said Steven Schroedl, founder of Verilan
>Networks in Portland, Ore., who brought a crew of five and literally a
>ton of equipment to beef up the hotel's wireless Internet.
>
>They added switches to a dozen electrical closets in the hotel and
>installed 30 access points for wireless Internet.
>
>"If you brought this group into a hotel without doing this," said
>Schroedl, "it would be a disaster. At this meeting, it doesn't matter
>how nice the venue or whether the food is good. It could be Paris or
>Prague, but if they can't get on the network, all they'll ever
>remember is how bad it was."
>
>- - -
>
>Five Internet priorities
>
>*Stop phishing spam
>
>*Improve communication with Mars probes
>
>*Improve telephony
>
>*Optimize video transmission
>
>*Adjust technology to allow basic functions (like e-mail) in Africa,

Cisco router in space tested: ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/lwood/cleo/README.html
--
Lloyd Wood           lwood@cisco.com          http://www.cisco.com/go/space
space initiatives manager, Cisco Systems Global Government Solutions Group