Re: [6lo] Call for WG adoption of draft-li-6lo-native-short-address-03

Luigi IANNONE <luigi.iannone@huawei.com> Tue, 23 August 2022 16:04 UTC

From: Luigi IANNONE <luigi.iannone@huawei.com>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Kiran M <kiran.ietf@gmail.com>, "carlesgo@entel.upc.edu" <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu>, "6lo@ietf.org" <6lo@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:04:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.125.228.70]
Subject: Re: [6lo] Call for WG adoption of draft-li-6lo-native-short-address-03

From: 6lo <6lo-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
Sent: Tuesday, 23 August 2022 08:57
To: Kiran M <kiran.ietf@gmail.com>; carlesgo@entel.upc.edu; 6lo@ietf.org

Thanks Kiran;

My view is that IPv6 must smoothly / silently adapt to the network as it exists, which is something that SCHC can help happen. 6LoWPAN can implicitly derive the IPv6 address from the 8 or 16 bits address, that’s the base of the design, with a resulting very short header; in that case the IPv6 address can be fully elided.

OTOH, NSA forces 1) a tree structure and 2) the addresses along that structure.

[LI] Addressing can follow topology or topology can follow addressing (y. Rekhter) :-)

The above is a constrain indeed.

This places constraints on the OT network and that may deter adoption in some cases. So on paper, NSA has a lower adoption field than 6LoWPAN.

[LI] That is correct. But NSA never claimed to replace anything, Just stating that in some scenarios may bring benefits.
We are creating an issue from nothing…

And the resulting L3 header is larger since the IP address is still not fully elided. So on paper, NSA yields larger IP headers.

[LI] But does not require routing tables or routing messages. We will delete claim about better header compression.

This is why my view is that the proposed benefit is mostly the automatic routing.

[LI] “Forwarding” not routing ;-)

Which yields operational issues upon changes.

[LI] That is true. It is stated in the document. We also state that in some scenarios routing would be a better fit.
Hence the reliability document.

So it’s a pro/cons. I see the pro winning in a very constrained / very specific type of wired sensors, like Xmas tree lights where you replace the lights with sensors.

[LI] Merry Xmas :-)
Yes, the benefits show up in specific type of networks, and some people have interest in those networks. I do not see the issue here.

This is a very specific type of L2, and NSA could be the way that L2 operates mesh under.

[LI] Interesting use case. But this is not where we are aiming.

Note that I do not oppose encoding a source route header in an IP address. SRv6 might do that in some fashion. I’m just no convinced that it beats 6LoWPAN in the general case,

[LI] From the beginning we agreed that NSA has a specific applicability scope, that you helped to frame. So, you statement is correct but I do not see why you are brining this up since we did not claim the contrary.

and no inclined to add RFCs to the pile, so it’s only harder to converge on one.

[LI] If there are people willing to carry out some work you do see as worth to be done It does not mean “pile up RFCs” it mean having different interests.
The number of RFCs is not a dimension on which evaluate WG adoption of documents, especially if there is no such policy in the IETF.

6LoWPAN was successful in defining one protocol that 6lo could adapt to many networks. That’s the power of one.

[LI] 6LoWPAN is an excellent protocol. The charter does not mandate 6lo to work on one solution, rather the contrary (see the excerpt I put above).
6LoWPAN remain the general solution. Just provide a solution that bring benefits it its own applicability scope.
I assume you would like this last part to be even better explained in the document, which we can certainly do.

Thanks

Ciao

L.

This is how we got adoption with Wi-Sun, Thread, ISA100.11a, you name it. With NSA, we’d dilute this power for a L2 network that is not even clearly identified?

All the best;

Pascal