RE: [6lowpan] Agenda for next meeting

Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com> Mon, 05 March 2007 23:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 08:56:35 +0900
From: Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>
Subject: RE: [6lowpan] Agenda for next meeting
To: 'Wassim Haddad' <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi>, '6lowpan' <6lowpan@lists.ietf.org>
Cc: 'Carsten Bormann' <cabo@tzi.de>

Wassim,

Glad to see your activities in this space...:-)

I am digging SeND relevant text from the security-analysis draft:
http://daniel.vsix.net/ietf/6lowpan/draft-daniel-6lowpan-security-analysis-0
2.txt

   if NDP (Neighbor Discovery Protocol) is applied to 6lowpan, SeND
   (Secure Neighbor Discovery) should be considered to provide security
   in conjunction with neighbor discovery protocol.  So far, CGA
   (Cryptographically Generated Addresses) [RFC3972] and SeND options
   [RFC3971] are newly designed by IETF and it works well over existing
   IP networks.  However, CGA seems very complex to be applied to
   6lowpan networks.  Furthermore, SeND options requires huge additional
   options (i.e., CGA option, RSA Signature option, Timestamp and Nonce
   option and etc.)  which increase the packet size accordingly.  Thus
   it is doubtful if Secure Neighbor Discovery protocol could be
   directly applicable to 6lowpan networks without any  optimization.

We need further in-depth discussion here. Are you thinking
SeND can be applied for 6lowpan networks ? How much fatting
down SeND itself ? It seems interesting issue but also really
difficult aspect at the same time from the security point of view.

Anyhow, I will go through your draft and get back to you with
more details soon. Also your comments are highly welcome.

Daniel