Re: [6lowpan] I-D of interest to this list - Zigbee Application Protocol over UDP/IP, including 6LoPWAN

Robert Cragie <rcc@jennic.com> Fri, 10 October 2008 17:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:52:50 +0100
From: Robert Cragie <rcc@jennic.com>
To: Kris Pister <pister@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org, David Culler <david.culler@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] I-D of interest to this list - Zigbee Application Protocol over UDP/IP, including 6LoPWAN
Sender: 6lowpan-bounces@ietf.org

Kris,

Some points to consider here. I should add these are my personal views and do not necessarily represent the official views of the ZigBee Alliance.

1) It is easy to write a specification. Taking a specification, developing and refining it and getting a large number of real-world implementers to join together in an alliance to develop and test products based on the specification to produce stable, interoperable products, in conjunction with a concerted marketing activity to promote such work is a huge undertaking and should not be underestimated.

2) The fact that this draft has been developed suggests that value is seen in the work done by the ZigBee Alliance to develop the application profiles.

3) There are a number of potential models to enable IP connectivity in low power wireless networks, each with their advantages and disadvantages, which in turn present their own suitability to low power wireless networks with distinct properties. Ideally a technology which can support all models would be developed. The ZigBee Alliance recognises this and has an IP connectivity task group to look at these models.

4) There is a strong and ever growing demand for low power wireless networks in a number of key markets, for example, what is generally known as the 'Smart Grid'. Products using ZigBee’s Smart Energy profile have been selected by a large number of utilities to provide intelligent wireless Demand and Response and Energy Management solutions. I don't think anyone would disagree that we would all benefit from collaboration between the ongoing efforts to produce technology which is prolific and usable.

So I personally welcome this input and look upon it as a vindication that there is a desire to converge efforts for the benefit of the technology as a whole.

Robert Cragie,

Chair, IP Connectivity Task Group, ZigBee Alliance

--
Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK

Kris Pister wrote:
Nice.  The beginning of the end for the Zigbee network stack.  Few will mourn it's passing.

ksjp

David Culler wrote:

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer

Direct: +44 (0) 114 281 4512