Re: [6lowpan] New charter for 6lowpan

"Carles Gomez Montenegro" <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu> Tue, 27 May 2008 09:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:29:19 +0200
From: Carles Gomez Montenegro <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu>
To: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org, roll-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] New charter for 6lowpan
Sender: 6lowpan-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Mark,

I would like to answer to one of the questions you raised regarding the
mesh-under Vs. route-over paradigms.

> Is there anything that the L3
> "route-over" model might not provide that is listed as a requirement for
> 6lowpan's "route-under" model?

At least, there are the following items listed in the routing requirements
draft (http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-dokaspar-6lowpan-routreq-05.txt)
that route-over approach cannot provide or would provide only in a limited
way:

- [R03] (use of 802.15.4 link layer feedback for power efficient operation)
- [R05] (use of mesh-under neighbor discovery for 6LoWPAN)
- [R06] (use of 802.15.4 beacons to deal with hibernating/unresponsive nodes)
- [R09] (about exploiting 802.15.4 join/leave messages)
- [R11] (on applying security mechanisms of 802.15.4 for securing the
routing protocol).
- [R12] (802.15.4 constraint on message sizes due to its small MTU)
- [R13] (on using 802.15.4 link layer feedback for link connectivity
maintenance)
- [R14] (on taking advantage of the LQI parameter, which is very critical
in routing decisions in 802.15.4 environments)

In my opinion, the "routing link and node metric" ROLL item can only
partially capture some of the specificities that may affect routing in
802.15.4 environments. Even if LQI parameter can be provided from 802.15.4
to layer three, all the specific 802.15.4 features (see the list above)
can only be fully exploited following a mesh-under approach. Hence, in my
opinion, routing decisions and efficiency of routing protocol operation
within a LoWPAN would be seriously limited if a route-over approach was
followed.

Thanks,

Carles