Re: [75attendees] Last Call for T-Shirts

"Arnoud van Wijk" <arnoud@greengiraffe.nl> Fri, 31 July 2009 07:58 UTC

From: Arnoud van Wijk <arnoud@greengiraffe.nl>
To: 'Iljitsch van Beijnum' <iljitsch@muada.com>, 'Randy Bush' <randy@psg.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:58:16 +0200
Cc: 75attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [75attendees] Last Call for T-Shirts

The link of radioactivity and glow in the dark is always a very goofy joke.
I know that Iljitsch did not mean this in a mean or disrepsectful way. And I
appreciate his apology.
But I think we all are very much aware of the unimaginable horror what
happened in Hiroshima.
For me the bomb in Hiroshima is very personal as well.
My mother is born in the Dutch Indies (Indonesia) and she was in a Japanese
prison camp.
Her life was saved thanks to the nuclear bomb in Hiroshima.
Had it been a few days later, I would not exist. Since the camp Amarang (I
think that was the name) was to be cleared the same week to free up the
Japanese troops who had to defend Japan. All women and kids would be killed.
Very scary how a close call this was.

So for me it was good that the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. But still I wish
that this did not happen. That a more humane solution had been possible. The
people of Hiroshima did not deserve to suffer in this way. It was and is
still a deep tragedy that will span generations. That is war.

I have no issues or problems with the Japanese people. I am looking forward
to go to Japan again. It is a beautiful country and wonderful amazing
people.
And I will go to the monument/memorial about the bomb. For the people of
Hiroshima and for me.

/Arnoud