Re: [88attendees] AFRICANs @ the IETF 88

Asmic Computers ZA/NG <asmicom@ngportal.com> Fri, 08 November 2013 10:53 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:53:14 +0100
From: Asmic Computers ZA/NG <asmicom@ngportal.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: "88attendees@ietf.org" <88attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [88attendees] AFRICANs @ the IETF 88

Many thanks goes to Spencer Dawkins and Fred Baker for the non-exhaustive list
of things we should also look into. They are highly informative.

There are just so much things to talk about that time wouldn't permit us to do
this morning.

Parts of the Agenda:::
1. Contributing to the IETF: The IETF 88 just showed many of us how ideas are
turned into standards. Wouldn't it be good to see (native) African names on an
RFC, IAB, WG-chairs, e.t.c.? One way of doing so is by having a "fighting
spirit" with continuous mentorship/support from the IETF members & various
bodies. Just before  the term "WebRTC or RTCWeb" came into the limelight in 2011
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC), someone from Africa had earlier seen a
need for it
(http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2007/papers/studentabstracts/paper23.pdf).
It was in 2007 that the idea first came up and a proof of concept was later
developed (http://bit.ly/R3SFtc). Today, the RTCWeb Working Group is now
standardizing it.  It started out as an application (OR an idea) -i.e.  getting
SIP into browsers for browser-to-browser communication. I am certain that there
are some many other ideas like that coming out of Africa. We now need to push
ourselves further to get our names there.

2. Getting more people involved: AT the moment, over ten people (students,
academics, e.t.c.) from different African countries have asked me how they can
get involved in the IETF activities. SOme other IETF 88 fellows from the
continent have also suggested that we talk about ways of sharing our
experiences. The situation is not peculiar to Africa. Many thanks to the task
force from South America that now wants to guide us on possible ways/solutions.

3. Re-imaging the world's view about Africa: Yes, I used the word "re-image." I
am referring to the computing concept from "virtual images."  What people
hear/see about the continent (mostly negative things) is different from what
they see, when the visit (some parts of) the continent.   How do we get the
continent to earn its own respect like Asia and South America? (Ref -
http://www.siliconafrica.com/it-takes-a-network-to-beat-a-network/)

Please feel free to dump your thoughts as you've been doing.....

Regards.