RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] RE: [AAA-DOCTORS] Enterprise codes - three or fouroctets

"David B Harrington" <dbharrington@comcast.net> Thu, 25 January 2007 05:38 UTC

From: David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>
To: "'Romascanu, Dan (Dan)'" <dromasca@avaya.com>, "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>, 'OPS Area' <ops-area@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] RE: [AAA-DOCTORS] Enterprise codes - three or fouroctets
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:50:04 -0500
Cc: aaa-doctors@ietf.org, "'MIB Doctors (E-mail)'" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>

Hi,

According to www.iana.org, the defining document for ENTERPRISE is
RFC2578. I believe this is the updated defining document; the original
appears to be RFC1065 (Structure and Identification of Management
Information for TCP/IP-based internets).

Each enterprise is assigned a subtree:
"For example, if the
   "Flintstones, Inc."  enterprise produced networking subsystems,
then
   they could request a node under the enterprises subtree from the
   Assigned Numbers authority."

A node is represented in SMI as a sub-identifier.
According to RFC2578, a sub-identifier has a value from 0..2^32-1
(4294967295 decimal).

This would argue for a 32-bit field size, wouldn't it?

dbh