(mobile-ip 732) New List on Computer/Telephone Problems/Bugs/Viruses/Dangers

Paul Robinson <PAUL@tdr.com> Fri, 11 February 1994 19:38 UTC

Newsgroups: tdr.paul.private.mail
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 13:38:11 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Paul Robinson <PAUL@tdr.com>
Subject: (mobile-ip 732) New List on Computer/Telephone Problems/Bugs/Viruses/Dangers
To: Everyone Lurking on Com-Priv <com-priv@psi.com>, Risks in computing <RISKS@csl.sri.com>, Comp Privacy <COMP-PRIVACY@uwm.edu>, IETF List <ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, "Newsgroup alt.Internet.services" <alt.internet.services.usenet@decwrl.dec.com>, "Info-Vax list & comp.os.vms" <info-vax@crvax.sri.com>, IBM Mainframe <IBM-MAIN@ricevm1.rice.edu>, Ethics in Computing <ETHICS-L@vm.gmd.de>, Ethics in Software Engineering <ETHCSE-L@utkvm1.bitnet>, telecom@delta.eecs.nwu.edu, new-list@pucc.princeton.edu, Cellular List <cellular@slcdec.dfv.rwth-aachen.de>, My Account <TDARCOS@mcimail.com>, Mobile IP list <mobile-ip@ossi.com>, OPERS-L@vm1.cc.uakron.edu

From: Paul Robinson <PAUL@TDR.COM>
-----
This is to announce the creation of a list for the public disclosure of
bugs, system problems, viruses, and any other conditions in a computer system
that people should be aware of so they can fix the problem.

It is also appropriate to report security holes, dangerous conditions in
PBXs, cellular and wire telephone systems, and other computer-controlled
devices.  Also reports of things such as default accounts and passwords on
systems that should be changed, etc.

The focus will be on reporting clear descriptions of problems including
how to generate them.  The idea being that this will alert people to the
nature of certain problems that they might be unaware of.  Reproducing
these conditions lets others know what is being done, and can allow people
to post solutions on how to block them.

The purpose in creating this list is that currently, the only means
currently available for reporting discovered security holes in computer
systems and possibly other areas is via the Computer Emergency Research
Team (CERT) out of Carnegie Mellon University.

The problem with CERT reporting is that the reports generally tend to be
done in secrecy, and it fails to let system administrators and others know
about what is happening so that these things can be fixed.  In short, CERT
acts like a black hole and takes too long to publicize problems until lots
of places get hit because they didn't know about it.

Some people feel that reports should not be publicized because potential
reports might become available to "the bad guys."  Well, the truth of the
matter is that "the bad guys" trade their discoveries around all the time;
the current use of secrecy is only hurting "the good guys" who want to
protect their systems.

This list has just been created, and pending creation of an automated
processor will be temporarily moderated since my current equipment does
not yet tell me what address the message is sent to.  This will be changed
in the next two weeks.

There will, however, be two addresses.  The general list will be

PROBLEMS@TDR.COM

which is used to post a report to the list.  To subscribe to the list, use

PROBLEMS-REQUEST@TDR.COM

Currently, both addresses are moderated.  This will change shortly as I
upgrade the software on my system.  Persons wishing to make a report but
not be identified should state so in the text of their message.  In the
future, they will do so by using the -request address which will come to
me directly.

Persons wanting to receive this service by facsimile should contact me for
details.  All messages requesting subscriptions or posting information
will be acknowledged.  Please pass this announcement around.

It is my intent to set this up such that people can publicly report known
bugs, viruses and problems in clear detail so everyone knows about them
and can encourage much faster response to these problems than is currently
available.  It may even embarass some manufacturers into making fixes
sooner when their errors are glaringly exposed in public.

---
Paul Robinson - Paul@TDR.COM
-----
The following Automatic Fortune Cookie was selected only for this message:

Never call a man a fool; borrow from him.