Re: [Ace] WGLC for draft-ietf-ace-authz

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Wed, 31 October 2018 11:07 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Ludwig Seitz' <ludwig.seitz@ri.se>, ace@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 04:05:57 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ace] WGLC for draft-ietf-ace-authz

I think that this should be lost as a requirement in the document.  I don't
think it makes it any easier to deal with things by having the abbreviations
from two different things line up to be the same.  They need to be dealt
with on their own in code anyway.

> > Per my earlier reviews of the ace-authz spec, I believe that the ACE
> > OAuth parameters should all be registered in the CWT Claims registry
> > because of the possibility of them being used in signed requests in a
> > manner analogous to
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq-17.  The
> > parameters need to be registered to avoid future claim number
> > conflicts.  While conflicts have clearly been carefully avoided to
> > date, they will inevitably occur in the future unless the values are
> > actually registered.  Please do so.
> >

> I have avoided doing this so far, since there was no precedent from
> OAuth on doing so (registering OAuth req/resp parameters as JWT claims)
> and I was trying to align with OAuth in that respect.
> For example draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq-17 doesn't seem to register any of
> the classical OAuth req/resp parameters as JWT claims ("This
> specification requests no actions by IANA.")
>
> How is the position of the OAuth WG on this?
>
> > DON'T SQUAT ON NUMERIC REGISTRY VALUES:  Please change all
> instances
> > of numbers to be assigned by designated experts in existing
> > registries from specific values to "TBD".  For instance, all the
> > values for the CWT Claims Registry in Section 8.13 (currently 12, 16,
> > and 17) should be changed to TBD.  Our chair, Jim Schaad has been a
> > vigorous advocate of not squatting in my past interactions with him
> > as a Designated Expert and I believe would support this request.
> > Likewise, the "19" in the CoAP Content-Format Registration in Section
> > 8.15 should become TBD.
> >
> I get your point.
>
> Any hints on how one usually do that while still providing provisory
> numbers for interop tests?

Generally this is done by assigning temp numbers from a private number space
that are then changed at the time of registration.  Additionally one can ask
for early registrations to occur.  This is done at the discretion of the
chairs.