[Acme] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-acme-caa-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 29 May 2019 19:40 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-acme-caa@ietf.org, Daniel McCarney <cpu@letsencrypt.org>, acme-chairs@ietf.org, cpu@letsencrypt.org, acme@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 12:40:42 -0700
Subject: [Acme] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-acme-caa-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-acme-caa-07: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-acme-caa/

DISCUSS:

Firstly, thank you for writing this -- I do however have some concerns around
Section "5.6.  Use with and without DNSSEC"

1: "Where a domain chooses to secure its nameservers using DNSSEC, the
authenticity of its DNS data can be assured, providing that a given CA makes
all DNS resolutions via an appropriate, trusted DNSSEC-validating resolver." A:
DNSSEC does *not* secure nameservers, it secures the DNS data itself (think
object security vs channel security) -- I'd suggest "When a domain is signed
using DNSSEC, the authenticity..." B: I'm confused what"appropriate" means in
"appropriate, trusted DNSSEC validating resolver" -- if it is trusted I'd
assume it is appropriate? Please explain. C: The way that a resolver signals to
a client that it has performed validation (and that the answer validated) is to
set a single bit (AD) in the response - this is obviously something which
should not be relied upon for security sensitive stuff - I'd strongly suggest
that i) there be some text around getting the responses from the resolver to
the CA machine securely (e.g over DNS-over-TLS), or better yet ii) that the CA
machine itself do the DNSSEC validation - there are many libraries / systems to
make this easy, e.g Stubby, libunbound, etc.

2: "A domain can use this property to protect itself from the threat posed by a
global adversary capable of performing man-in-the-middle attacks, ..." A: What
is the purpose of "global" in "global adversary" -- I'm assuming it is trying
to communicate something important here, but how is this different to a "local"
adversary capable of performing man-in-the-middle attacks?

3: " Use of the "accounturi" or "validationmethods" parameters does not confer
additional security against an attacker capable of performing a
man-in-the-middle attack against all validation attempts made by a given CA
which is authorized by CAA where:
   1.  A domain does not secure its nameservers using DNSSEC, or
   2.  That CA does not perform CAA validation using a trusted
   DNSSEC-validating resolver.
Moreover, use of the "accounturi" or "validationmethods" parameters does not
mitigate against man-in-the-middle attacks against CAs which do not validate
CAA records, or which do not do so using a trusted DNSSEC-validating resolver,
..."

Can this document simply say: "When using this method, CA's MUST use a
DNSSEC-validating resolver"? -- it will a: make the protocol more secure and b:
simplify a bunch of the document and c: isn't a large burden. During the
so-called "DNSpionage" incident, it seems that a specific CA was chosen because
it didn't do DNSSEC validation (or, perhaps would try validate, but would still
issue if DNSSEC validation failed) -- see:
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-March/099852.html

COMMENT:

Thank you again for writing this, and apologies for not balloting earlier -
I've got a cold and am behind on my IETF work.