Re: [Acme] Add a special token parameter in ACME registration

"Andy Ligg" <andy@startssl.com> Tue, 16 August 2016 15:14 UTC

From: Andy Ligg <andy@startssl.com>
To: 'Jacob Hoffman-Andrews' <jsha@eff.org>, "'J.C. Jones'" <jjones@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 23:14:16 +0800
Cc: Acme@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Acme] Add a special token parameter in ACME registration

See below inline, thanks.

From: Jacob Hoffman-Andrews [mailto:jsha@eff.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:35 AM
To: J.C. Jones <jjones@mozilla.com>; Andy Ligg <andy@startssl.com>
Cc: Acme@ietf.org

One possibility would to make it the client's responsibility to request EV
by including the desired O, OU, etc. fields in the Subject DN of the CSR. It
would then be the server's responsibility to accept or reject the request
based on whether the account has a sufficient validation level (and
payment).

A: StartCom issued the certificate not based on CSR info, we don't care
about the info in the CSR, we issue the certificate based on this account
validated level and validated identity information. This mode don't work,
CSR is not enough to identify the certificate type.

One of the big open questions in ACME is how paid CAs will manage the
connection between existing accounts and accounts as defined by ACME. It
sounds like that's a need you're likely to have. Do you have any particular
ideas about how you'd like to manage it?

A: Yes, our API call is the same way as ACME registration - using client
certificate for authentication. In my last email, we need to add a API Token
in the ACME registration, then all are OK for paid CA.
Sure, if the paid CA is not this way but like to use ACME, then they need to
change the API system.

Thanks.

Andy