[Actn] ***SPAM*** 7.446 (5) RE: Status and plans for ACTN

이광국(통합전달망팀) <kwangkoog.lee@kt.com> Thu, 04 December 2014 05:33 UTC

From: "이광국(통합전달망팀)" <kwangkoog.lee@kt.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'Fatai Zhang' <zhangfatai@huawei.com>, "actn@ietf.org" <actn@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 05:32:57 +0000
x-dispnameaddress: kwangkoog.lee@kt.com
x-originating-ip: [10.214.101.142]
Cc: "akatlas@gmail.com" <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: [Actn] ***SPAM*** 7.446 (5) RE: Status and plans for ACTN

Hi.

This is my opinion about the question "what is entirely new and needs the focus of a WG".

As we mentioned in our use-case (ACTN use-case for on-demand E2E connectivity Services in Multiple Vendor Domain Transport Networks), the border area is vulnerable points when multi-domains are constructed by multi-vendor solutions. One might think single-vendor deployment is the best solution but operator’s domains are not easily deployed by such kinds of approach. Nobody cannot touch the border area, so generally operators have to develop some integration functions in their own NMS to control whole area. But, whenever new devices are deployed, this is quite time-consuming and hurdle points to rapidly make new business model. It results in sticking to the same vendor (vendor-lock-in) from operators.

Most of operators recognize that the current network paradigm is slightly shifted from distributed networking to centralized networking by the SDN/NFV tornado. But, actually this is not a brand-new approach since original transport networks also have such kinds of centralized management approaches. If so, what operators expect from ACTN working group?

As we know, several standard organizations and working groups are formed lately and make an effort for the standardization. But my concern is that although many working groups are created, their works are somewhat overlapped and they do not even talk to each other. There are not enough interactions amongst them.

Such fragmented standardization might also generate SILOED-SDN architectures for operator networks. We agree that anybody (operators, vendors) does not want such results. The reason I joined this group is that this group aims at the harmonization of such fragmented islands including non-SDN domains in IETF. Technically, ACTN approach to control border areas as well as whole transport networks by its centralized management mechanisms is able to solve several issues in terms of the end-to-end connectivities and the support of virtualized networks. So, I hope this group be organized and then build a foundation to interact with all network domains by the general information and data model.

best regards,
Kwang-koog Lee