Re: [Actn] Status and plans for ACTN

"Zhangxian (Xian)" <zhang.xian@huawei.com> Thu, 15 January 2015 07:42 UTC

From: "Zhangxian (Xian)" <zhang.xian@huawei.com>
To: Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>, Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "actn@ietf.org" <actn@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:42:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.104.209]
Cc: "akatlas@gmail.com" <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Actn] Status and plans for ACTN

Hi, Adrian, Daniele, Young, and all who cares about ACTN work,

      I find this thread very important for this mailing list and worth digging out and try to revisit.  SO, I would like to share my thoughts.

    I am trying to be succinct and  try to use the most up-to-date texts/terms although I haven¡¯t got time to read in much detail the ~200 email while being a mom of a 5-month-old baby. So please do comment if you have thoughts even on one of the questions listed below. Or try to recap what has been discussed and agreed in case I miss most important discussion/info and/or make mistakes in this email.

     Firstly, I re-summarized our AD¡¯s questions and re-order/number them, so that we can see which one we have/haven¡¯t addressed along our discussion.

Q1: The framework draft updated so that the ACTN architecture clearer? Recursion dealt with?

[Xian]: I believe we have reached a common understanding on the architecture now and pretty solid components names. The recursion is yet to be addressed in v06 since I do not see much explanation there. But with the just agreed architecture, it would be easier.

Q2: For the work can be done, which category do they belong to?

Type1: New but likely to be worked in other WGs but need review and guidance from *an ACTN WG*
Type2:  What is a delta on work done in other WGs that needs cooperative development?
Type3:  What already exists but needs an applicability statement to demonstrate its use?

Note1: I do not know whether other ppl have issue understanding especially for Type1 and Type2, but I feel like rephrase to make sure I understand correctly after reading it many times. My understanding is Type1 is work that need a ACTN WG to  generate the requirement for protocol extensions in existing WGs/need rechartering (at least), or a new protocol developed within ACTN WG itself (at most), Type2: what needs to be is within existing WGs charter, so can working together if there is an ACTN WG or directly by existing WG even without. Type 3: straightforward, no need for explanation.

Note2: Get clear of the type classification can also answer our AD¡¯s question: ¡°What is entirely new and focus of ACTN?¡°

Q3: The description of the functional interfaces expanded to include the primitives and the information carried?

Q4: What is the client asking for, just abstract topology/connectivity or service related?

Please see inline for answers to the rest of the above listed questions and my thoughts: