[admin-discuss] Public archival of AUTH48 communications

The IESG <iesg@ietf.org> Thu, 24 February 2022 22:24 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, admin-discuss@ietf.org, irtf-announce@irtf.org, rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 14:24:19 -0800
Subject: [admin-discuss] Public archival of AUTH48 communications

The IETF prides itself on its open process and transparent
communication, with one of our core principles being our commitment to
making all materials related to our standards process and other
activities publicly available.

For a document undergoing publication within the IETF Stream, most of
its history can be traced by exploring the mail archive - from the first
submission, to Last Call comments, to IESG evaluation. However, once the
document enters the RFC Editor queue, the communication between authors
and RFC Production Center (RPC) is only visible to a specific set of
people: RFC editors, authors, the responsible ADs and WG chairs (when
applicable).

In order to increase transparency during the final stages of document
editing, the IESG, IAB, ISE, IRSG, Temporary RFC Series Project Manager,
RPC, and Tools team are considering allowing anyone to search and read
AUTH48 conversations about specific documents (or clusters of
documents). It is not a goal to actively involve more people in the
conversation between authors and RFC editors.

Our proposal: to set up a public mailing list of AUTH48 conversations,
for archival purposes only, i.e., read-only. The RFC editors, when
initiating the conversation with the authors will CC this mailing list.
All further responses usually maintain the CC addresses, and as a
consequence will be archived in the mailing list archive.

All AUTH48 discussions of all documents will be archived on the same
mailing list. Searches and filtering will be available based on the
mails’ content and metadata, including draft name, RFC-to-be number,
cluster number, sender, and date.

Opt out: the authors and RFC editors are able to opt out from archival,
by removing the mailing list from the CC. Although we don’t envision
that this will be necessary often, there may be cases where sensitive
information needs to be shared.

The initial AUTH48 mail from the RFC Editor will also include text about
public archival, to make sure authors are aware. With this announcement,
the IESG wants to inform the community and read feedback before we set
anything up. Please send any comment to iesg@ietf.org or reply to this
thread by 24 March 2022.

Francesca Palombini for the IESG