Re: [alto] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-20: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 03 December 2021 22:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 14:29:38 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics@ietf.org>, "alto-chairs@ietf.org" <alto-chairs@ietf.org>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, "ietf@j-f-s.de" <ietf@j-f-s.de>, "Y. Richard Yang" <yang.r.yang@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-20: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Qin,

On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 09:04:18AM +0000, Qin Wu wrote:
> Thanks Ben for detailed valuable review, see reply and clarification below.

Oops, that's my mistake and you are correct.  Sorry about that; I agree
that no change is needed here.

> >Also, the listing of "cost-source" values introduced by this document (in §5.1) does not include "nominal", but we do also introduce "nominal".
> [Qin Wu] I agree with this inconsistency issue, should be fixed in the next version. Thanks.
> >Similarly, in §3.1.3 we refer to the "-<percentile>" component of a cost metric string, that has been generalized to an arbitrary statistical operator.
> [Qin Wu] No, it is not arbitrary statistics operator, We did add a statement to say
> "
>    Since the identifier
>    does not include the -<percentile> component, the values will
>    represent median values.
> "
> The median value has been defined in the section 2.1 as middle-point of the observation, see median definition in section 2.2
> "
>    median:
>       the mid-point (i.e., p50) of the observations.
> "

Hmm, I am not sure whether my point came through properly or not.  Let me
try again.

In Section 3.1.3, we see the text:

   Comment: Since the "cost-type" does not include the "cost-source"
   field, the values are based on "estimation".  Since the identifier
   does not include the -<percentile> component, the values will
   represent median values.

This is the only place in the document where the string "<percentile>"
appears, and in particular we do not define a "percentile component"
anywhere that I can see.  We do, however, define a "statistical operator"
string (component) of a cost metric string, in Section 2.2.  In particular,
we do have options for the statistical operator string that are *not*
representable as percentile values, such as stddev and cur.  So, I think it
is inaccurate to write "-<percentile>" component here.  I propose to
instead say "Since the identifier does not include a statistical operator
component, the values will represent median values."

> >COMMENT:
>
> >All things considered, this is a pretty well-written document that was easy to read.  That helped a lot as I reviewed it, especially so on a week with a pretty full agenda for the IESG telechat.
>
> >Section 2.2
>
> >Should we say anything about how to handle a situation where a base metric identifier is so long that the statistical operator string cannot be appended while remaining under the 32-character limit?
> [Qin Wu] I think base metric identifier should not be randomly selected, full name of base metric is not recommended, probably short name or abbreviation should be used if cost metric string is too long.
> But I am not sure we should set rule for this. Maybe the rule "The total length of the cost metric string MUST NOT exceed 32 " defined in RFC7285 is sufficient?

As far as formal requirements go, that may be all we need.  Assuming that
no one needs a percentile value with more than two digits of precision
after the decimal point, the longest statistical operator component we
currently define is seven characters, e.g., "-median".  So if someone
happens to define a base metric identifier that's more than 25 characters,
we set ourselves up for a situation where we can use the base metric but
can't use -median, -stddev, or -stdvar.  If it's less than 28 characters we
could still use -cur, -min, -max, etc., which would be a rather strange
situation to be in!

I suspect that the right practical approach, if this situation ever arose,
would be to define a new base metric identifier that's an alias for the
existing one -- just a shorter name but with the same semantics.  So we
might end up with some text like:

% RFC 7258 limits the overall cost metric identifier to 32 characters.  The
% cost metric variants with statistical operator suffixes defined by this
% document are also subject to the same overall 32-character limit, so
% certain combinations of (long) base metric identifier and statistical
% operator will not be representable.  If such a situation arises, it could
% be addressed by defining a new base metric identifier that is an "alias"
% of the desired base metric, with identical semantics and just a shorter
% name.

> >   min:
> >      the minimal value of the observations.
> >   max:
> >      the maximal value of the observations.
> >   [...]
>
> >Should we say anything about what sampling period of observations is in scope for these operators?
> [Qin Wu] I think sampling period of observation is related to Method of Measurement or Calculation, based on earlier discussion and agreement in the group, we believe this more depends on measurement methodology or metric definition, which in some cases not necessary or feasible, we can look into metric definition RFC for more details. see clarification in section 2 for more details.

Okay, that's a good way to handle it.

> >Section 3.x.4
>
> >If we're going to be recommending that implementations link to external human-readable resources (e.g., for the SLA details of estimation methodology), does the guidance from BCP 18 in indicating the language
> >of text come into play?

(This was a separate point than the following paragraph, to be clear.  I
don't have a good answer to propose.)

> >It's also a bit surprising that we specify the new fields in the "parameters" of a metric just in passing in the prose, without a more prominent indication that we're defining a new field.
> [Qin Wu] See CostContext defintion in section2.1, "parameters" is included in Costcontext object.

Ah.  I think I forgot that the "parameters" were new in this document;
sorry about that.

> [...]
> >be reported.  It also doesn't seem to fully align with the prior art in the IETF, e.g., RFC 3393.  It seems like it would be highly preferrable to pick an existing RFC and refer to its specification for computing a
> >delay variation value.  (To be clear, such a reference would then be a normative reference.)
> [Qin Wu] Agree, we are not introducing a new metric, we just expose the existing metric defined in RFC3393. Also I agree to move RFC3393 as normative reference, will see how to fix this.
> >Section 3.4.3
>
> >   Intended Semantics: To specify the number of hops in the path from
> >   the specified source to the specified destination.  The hop count is
> >   a basic measurement of distance in a network and can be exposed as
> >   the number of router hops computed from the routing protocols
> >   originating this information.  [...]
>
> >It seems like this could get a little messy if there are multiple routing protocols in use (e.g., both normal IP routing and an overlay network, as for service function chaining or other overlay schemes).
> >I don't have any suggestions for disambiguating things, though, and if the usage is consistent within a given ALTO Server it may not have much impact on the clients.
> [Qin Wu] Hop count has been implicitly mentioned in RFC7285, this document specify this metric explicitly.
> I am thinking which protocol is used can be indicated in in the link (a field named "link") providing an URI to a description of the "estimation" method.
> >Section 3.4.4
>
> >   "sla": Typically hop count does not have an SLA value.
>
> >As for "nominal", earlier, is there any guidance to give on not generating it or what to do if it is received?
> > (Also appears later, I suppose.)
> [Qin Wu] Will see how to provide guidance on this, thanks.
> >Section 4.1.4
>
> >   "estimation": The exact estimation method is out of the scope of this
> >   document.  See [Prophet] for a method to estimate TCP throughput.  It
> >   is RECOMMENDED that the "parameters" field of an "estimation" TCP
> >   throughput metric provides two fields: (1) a congestion-control
> >   algorithm name (a field named "congestion-control-alg"); and (2) a
> >   link (a field named "link")to a description of the "estimation"
> >   method.  Note that as TCP congestion control algorithms evolve (e.g.,
> >   TCP Cubic Congestion Control [I-D.ietf-tcpm-rfc8312bis]), it helps to
> >   specify as many details as possible on the congestion control
> >   algorithm used.  This description can be either free text for
> >   possible presentation to the user, or a formal specification.  [...]
>
> >Do these specifics go into the "congestion-control-alg" name, or in the linked content?
> [Qin Wu] My understanding is the later, but two fields will be provided by one "parameters" field which can be seen as JSON object since "parameters" is a plural of "parameter".

I was hoping it would be the latter :)
Maybe add a clause at the end of the last quoted sence like ", as part of
the linked contents"?

> >Section 5.3
>
> >   To address the backward-compatibility issue, if a "cost-metric" is
> >   "routingcost" and the metric contains a "cost-context" field, then it
> >   MUST be "estimation"; if it is not, the client SHOULD reject the
> >   information as invalid.
>
> >This seems like a sub-optimal route to backwards compatibility, as it would (apparently) permanently lock the "routingcost" metric to only the "estimation" source with no way to negotiate more flexibility.  Unless we >define a new "routingcost2" metric that differs only in the lack of this restriction, of course.
> [Qin Wu] Probably we should have a default value for cost-context, I think the default value is estimation since legacy client only support metric estimation.
> >Section 5.4.1
>
> >   the ALTO server may provide the client with two pieces of additional
> >   information: (1) when the metrics are last computed, and (2) when the
> >   metrics will be updated (i.e., the validity period of the exposed
> >   metric values).  The ALTO server can expose these two pieces of
> >   information by using the HTTP response headers Last-Modified and
> >   Expires.
>
> >While this seems like it would work okay in the usual case, it seems a bit fragile, in that it may fail in boundary cases, such as when a server is just starting up.  I would lean towards recommending use of explicit data items to convey this sort of information (and also the overall measurement interval over which statistics are computed, which may not always go back to "the start of time").
> [Qin Wu] Okay.
> >Section 5.4.2
>
> >   often be link level.  For example, routing protocols often measure
> >   and report only per link loss, not end-to-end loss; similarly,
> >   routing protocols report link level available bandwidth, not end-to-
> >   end available bandwidth.  The ALTO server then needs to aggregate
> >   these data to provide an abstract and unified view that can be more
> >   useful to applications.  The server should consider that different
> >   metrics may use different aggregation computation.  For example, the
> >   end-to-end latency of a path is the sum of the latency of the links
> >   on the path; the end-to-end available bandwidth of a path is the
> >   minimum of the available bandwidth of the links on the path.
>
> >Some caution seems in order relating to aggregation of loss measurements, as loss is not always uncorrolated across links in the path.
> [Qin Wu] Agree, but here we just provide examples.

That is true ... I am approaching this from the sense that there is pretty
nasty "gotcha" that could trip up an implementor, that is very adjacent to
what we do talk about, so adding a caution would be only a minor change.
E.g. (after the quoted text), "In contrast, aggregating loss values is
complicated by the potential for correlated loss events on different links
in the path."

Thanks for these; all the rest (including bits above that I did not reply
to) looks good.

-Ben