Re: [alto] ALTO and Content Delivery Networks

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Wed, 16 June 2010 03:12 UTC

From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:12:32 -0400
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.5.0.100510
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO and Content Delivery Networks

Hello Nicholas,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I will incorporate your points in the
HTTP redirection section.

Originally our intention with 302 was targeted at streaming services. For
example, you visit YouTube and when you click on a Video Link you get 302
for the video alone (i.e., a single object). I think this needs to be
clarified.

I agree that a common use case going forward is where the DNS server queries
an ALTO Server. This is captured in sections 6.1 and 6.3. I believe they
need revisions for further clarification

> This would also allow the easy use of the mechanism to any OTHER latency
> sensitive application, eg, choice of VPN tunnel endpoint, etc.

This is a good point.

Thanks.

Reinaldo