Re: [alto] draft-yang-alto-path-vector-03 and cost-map service

Hans Seidel <hseidel@benocs.com> Fri, 12 August 2016 13:42 UTC

To: Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@gmail.com>
From: Hans Seidel <hseidel@benocs.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 15:41:52 +0200
Cc: IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, Ingmar Poese <ipoese@benocs.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] draft-yang-alto-path-vector-03 and cost-map service

Hi Jensen,

Thank you for your response.

see comments inline.

On 11.08.2016 19:16, Jensen Zhang wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Is it possible to compress the cost map by using routing state
> abstraction? I think it is a potential solution.
As far as I understand the routing state abstraction draft, it can be
used to eliminate links e.g. from path-vectors regarding client defined
conditions to reduce the size of the cost-map.
However, I see two potential limitations of routing state abstraction in
full cost maps.

1. Assuming a full mesh cost map where costs from every PID to every PID
are provided, so we have a flow from every PID to every PID. The more
flows, the more fine grained is the routing state abstraction, since the
number of shared links among different flows increases. If no
information should be lost, I think the number of links that could be
eliminated decreases with the number of flows. So, having many flows
will result in little to no size reduction. Please correct me, if I got
this wrong.
2. The computation effort for a large number of PIDs in large networks
might exceed an acceptable limit.

> Another solution may be to add a proxy layer to compress and
> decompress ALTO protocol messages. It will reduce the communication
> time and not change the implementation of ALTO servers and clients.
> But compression and decompression will increase extra processing time.

Yes, compression is a way to reduce the size at the cost of extra
processing. It reduces the map size to 3.7MB without and 11MB with
path-vector but keeps the size ratio at 1:3.

Hans