[alto] draft-yang-alto-path-vector-03 and cost-map service

Hans Seidel <hseidel@benocs.com> Thu, 11 August 2016 13:08 UTC

From: Hans Seidel <hseidel@benocs.com>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:08:42 +0200
Cc: Ingmar Poese <ipoese@benocs.com>
Subject: [alto] draft-yang-alto-path-vector-03 and cost-map service

Hi Richard, all,

after the ALTO session in Berlin, we shortly talked with Ingmar about
the impact of path-vector on the size of cost maps especially in
large-scale networks.

I carried out some tests with path-vector cost maps based on our data.
Our cost maps are already very large but path-vector maps are about
three times larger (~50 MB vs. ~150 MB in uncompressed state). In
average we have round about 4 hops between two PIDs which leads to an
average path-vector of the same length. ECMP was not considered in the
test but it will certainly further increase the size of the map.

Our idea to reduce cost map size is to provide topology information,
e.g. with the property map presented in the unified-props draft, and let
the client carry out the path determination. This means, the ALTO server
provides the network, cost and property map to enable clients to get
their desired level of detail for the path costs.

I also think this approach can coexist with path-vector cost maps. An
ALTO server can provide both cost maps with and without path vector and
a property map providing the topology. This way it is up to the client
whether it wants to save bandwidth and invests some processing time to
perform path determination by itself or it fetches the full path-vector
cost map.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
Hans