Re: [alto] New version: draft-schwan-alto-incr-updates-02.txt

sreekanth madhavan <sreekanthm@huawei.com> Fri, 27 July 2012 05:00 UTC

From: sreekanth madhavan <sreekanthm@huawei.com>
To: "'Schwan, Nico (Nico)'" <nico.schwan@alcatel-lucent.com>, "'Roome, W D'" <w.roome@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:27:54 +0530
Cc: alto@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [alto] New version: draft-schwan-alto-incr-updates-02.txt

Hi,

I have reviewed the draft. Following are my comments:

Section 3.1.  HTTP

   HTTP [RFC2616] provides request-header fields to express conditional
   requests.  Typically these conditional requests are used by caches to
   decide whether a copy of a resource they have can be served to a
   requesting client directly or not.  Responses to conditional HTTP
   requests must be exactly the same as for normal HTTP GET requests.
   Thus sending a modified map version (i.e. a partial update) violates
   the HTTP standard.  Conditional requests can still be used to avoid
   transmitting an unchanged Map multiple times.  The options are
   discussed in the following.

[sreekanth]: RFC 3229 defines how delta encoding can be supported as an
compatible
extension to HTTP/1.1. Can't we use the same framework for alto incremental
updates ?

Section 3.1.1: If-Modified-Since HTTP Header

[sreekanth]: This timestamp-based approach is prone to error because of the
lack
   of timestamp resolution: if a resource changes twice during one second,
   the change might not be detectable. It is better to use the ETag.

IMO notification based cache invalidation mechanism can be added as an
alternate approach.

Regards,
Sreekanth