Re: [alto] New version: draft-schwan-alto-incr-updates-02.txt

"Schwan, Nico (Nico)" <nico.schwan@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 27 July 2012 11:59 UTC

From: "Schwan, Nico (Nico)" <nico.schwan@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: sreekanth madhavan <sreekanthm@huawei.com>, "Roome, W D" <w.roome@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:59:17 +0200
acceptlanguage: de-DE, en-US
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] New version: draft-schwan-alto-incr-updates-02.txt

Sreekanth,

thanks for your comments!

> I have reviewed the draft. Following are my comments:
>
> Section 3.1.  HTTP
>
>    HTTP [RFC2616] provides request-header fields to express conditional
>    requests.  Typically these conditional requests are used by caches
>    decide whether a copy of a resource they have can be served to a
>    requesting client directly or not.  Responses to conditional HTTP
>    requests must be exactly the same as for normal HTTP GET requests.
>    Thus sending a modified map version (i.e. a partial update) violates
>    the HTTP standard.  Conditional requests can still be used to avoid
>    transmitting an unchanged Map multiple times.  The options are
>    discussed in the following.
>
> [sreekanth]: RFC 3229 defines how delta encoding can be supported as an
> compatible extension to HTTP/1.1. Can't we use the same framework for
> alto incremental updates ?

Thanks for the pointer. This is certainly something we need to consider. After a quick search I don't have the impression that HTTP delta encoding is currently widely used. Do you or anyone else have an idea to what extend this is actually supported in today's implementations?

> Section 3.1.1: If-Modified-Since HTTP Header
>
> [sreekanth]: This timestamp-based approach is prone to error because of
> the
> lack
>    of timestamp resolution: if a resource changes twice during one
> second,
>    the change might not be detectable. It is better to use the ETag.
One main assumption for the ALTO map-based approach is that the information provided in these maps is static for a longer period of time, thus changes on sub-second timeframe seem unlikely. I see your point though.

Regards,

Nico