Re: [alto] ALTO Side Meeting - resuming an extension topic for futher discussions

"RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE)" <sabine.randriamasy@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 13 March 2013 18:13 UTC

From: "RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE)" <sabine.randriamasy@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:13:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.40]
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO Side Meeting - resuming an extension topic for futher discussions

Hi all,

I don't mean this last minute topic to be discussed this evening, but for further discussions on potential extensions I'd like to resume another proposal made on the ALTOEXT mailing list, before the i2aex meeting in Paris.

Ben suggested to introduce "the ability to "name" cost maps so that a single Information Resource Directory can link multiple cost maps with the same cost type & cost mode to a single network map." (see attached e-mail). One goal was to provide, for a given Cost Type and Mode, multiple cost maps depending on qualitative conditions that Ben names "circumstance". A circumstance reflecting a given policy.

I'd like to bring another use case where providing different values for a same cost type can help optimizing the Endpoint choice. Typically when the path to this endpoint starts from a multi technology access network and the Endpoint Cost is impacted by which access technology is used for the first hop from the terminal using the EP resource.

Let's assume a terminal sitting in a LTE network uses the Endpoint Cost Service in an ALTO deployment scenario such as the Cascaded ALTO Service described in section 6.1 of http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-deployments-06. We may have a local ALTO Server reporting e.g. 'routingcost' to the PDN Gateway with values depending on qualitative "circumstances" such as cellular, trusted wifi access, SLA... and likely to significantly impact the QoE. The remaining cost from the PDN GW to the EP can be calculated by a regular ALTO Server.

One way to support this is to introduce some cost attribute called e.g. "value name". In an IRD it could be represented with an array of 1 or more elements taking value "circumstanceN" of type "string".

In the IRD we may have something as follows (and modulo syntax errors), with "circumstanceN" taking values such as "cellular", "trusted-wifi", "policyX", "SLAtype"...

For the Cost map Service:

"capabilities" {
"cost-types" : ["routingcost"],
"value-name" : ["circumstance1", "circumstance2"], },
"media-types": [
"application/alto-costmap+json"
],
"uri": "http://alto.ietf.org/costmap/routingcost/numerical/circumstance"

For the ECS:

"capabilities" {
"cost-types" : ["routingcost"],
"value-name" : ["circumstance1", "circumstance2"], },
"media-types": [
"application/alto-endpointcost+json"
],
"uri": "http://alto.ietf.org/endpointcost/rc-num/circumstance"

The ALTO Client  knows which one of the Cost Maps or ECS values to request and puts the appropriate name in its request. Where as the ALTO Server on its side has no clue on which value to provide.

Does that sound reasonable? I have a bunch of example figures illustrating the advantages for ECS on cascaded ALTO Servers in a multi RAT access network.

Thanks,
Sabine