[alto] FW: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-04.txt

Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu> Fri, 29 October 2010 07:32 UTC

From: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>
To: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:34:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.1.67]
Subject: [alto] FW: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-04.txt

Dear all,

Here is an update of draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc which was in the past solely about 3rd party server discovery.

However, the updated draft covers now the full

         ** ALTO Server Discovery **

This includes 3rd party server discovery, as well as, server discovery from a peer.

The draft is a technical specification of a procedure how to use multiple methods to find an ALTO server, including DHCP options (v4/v6) for providing the server's FQDN (if provided by the access network ops), DHCP options (v4/v6) for providing a DNS suffix that can be used for UNAPTR search, manual input of DNS suffix, and fallback to reverse lookup.

The reverse lookup procedure has still some issues to be fleshed out, but we're on the way.

The UNAPTR part is inherited from draft-stiemerling-alto-dns-discovery
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stiemerling-alto-dns-discovery/)

There are still a number of open issues to be discussed. Some of them are documented in Section 8 of the draft:

   Handling of reverse DNS lookups for IPv6:  Refer to [RFC4472] for a
      discussion about the issues.

   Missing reverse DNS entries for an IP address:  There may be cases
      where the reverse DNS lookup does not yield any result.  However,
      this will leave the ALTO client with no choice, other than giving
      up.  This needs better documentation.

   How to handled multiple results:  For instance, a host behind a NAT
      that yields an ALTO server in the private IP address domain and
      one in the public IP address domain.  Whom to ask?

   Suffix Issues  Document issues with suffix information provided by
      DHCP or by other means.  For instance, a host behind a NAT may
      have a configured DNS suffix ".local".  This suffix is not usuable
      for the server discovery procedure.

Any feedback is appreciated.

  Martin (for all authors)

martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

[InternetShortcut] URL=ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-04.txt