Re: [alto] FW: I-D Action:draft-stiemerling-alto-deployments-05.txt

Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu> Fri, 29 October 2010 07:45 UTC

From: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>
To: "Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)" <christian.1.schmidt@nsn.com>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:47:36 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.1.67]
Subject: Re: [alto] FW: I-D Action:draft-stiemerling-alto-deployments-05.txt

Hi Christian,

You are raising a good point, which is not covered by the deployments draft.

Mobile peers will also challenge the map-based approach, unless the preference information always indicates to turn away from these types of peers. This could be the most likely case, i.e., the ISP will configure to rank those mobile peers really bad, so that other peers will not pick them.

The challenge is in the case where there is more specific configuration needed. For instance, static mobile peers (e.g., UMTS stick in home gateway), might get a slightly better rating, as well as, mobile peers on HDSPA.

However, the rating for such a mobile peer may change rapidly, if the peer starts moving and even changes the access technology (e.g. HSDPA to EDGE). The IP address of the peer will remain the same but the rating will dramatically change.

I guess this is hard to manage with the map-based approaches.

Thanks and Cheers to Munich

  Martin

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014