[alto] Topology enhancement discussion -- Re: Starting the ALTO extension discussion

Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com> Thu, 21 November 2013 18:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:20:23 -0800
From: Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com>
To: alto@ietf.org
Subject: [alto] Topology enhancement discussion -- Re: Starting the ALTO extension discussion

Hi all interested in ALTO topology extensions. I've been trying to
organize the topology
enhancements along some themes to better enable requirements analysis.
Here is a first cut via a tentative
abstract for an update to the topology framework draft:

*Abstract*
This document is concerned with ALTO topology extensions needed to
model: (a) additional network imposed constraints such as link
bandwidth, (b) furnish additional information to satisfy application
resilience or policy requirements, and  (c) furnish guidance in the case
where the network can furnish multiple paths between sources and
destinations.

Exposing additional topology information of networks to applications and
users beyond that of the current ALTO protocol can enable many important
existing and emerging use cases, and many network providers already
provide additional information about their networks. At the same time,
there is no standard for exposing network topology in a manner that
provides simplification via abstraction to the application layer and
information hiding via abstraction to the network provider. In this
document, we derive topology enhancement requirements, provide a
framework including processes and information models for delivering
enhanced topology information, and furnish some possible information
encodings to establish scalability and processing bounds.

For (a) we've got examples from the large bandwidth use-case draft.  For
(b) in the resilience area we are thinking about "shared fate" concepts
such as SRLGs and such suitably abstracted. For (b) in the policy areas
we were thinking about information related to geo-political requirements
on data transit and such. Finally for (c) we are thinking about VPN,
SDNs and those circuit like technologies.

Let me know if you find this breakdown helpful, have other examples, or
if we missed something.
Cheers

Greg B.