Re: [alto] ALTO Extension: Defining a Cost Metrics document?

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Sat, 26 October 2013 03:14 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:13:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.149]
Cc: "choits@etri.re.kr" <choits@etri.re.kr>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO Extension: Defining a Cost Metrics document?

Hi,Richard:
Thank for bring these examples.
I see these examples from two perspectives:

1.       What cost metrics we should define?

2.       When, where and how to calculate these metrics (i.e., methodology ).
I think we can not define these cost metrics from scratch, we can not define all the metrics we think useful. Instead, we should define them mostly based on standardized work,
AT&T have a good practice for measuring these metrics. But I believe AT&T also doing a good job in standardizing these metrics and associated methodology,e.g.,
in IETF IPPM WG.
Therefore I think we should try to reuse the existing methodology associated metrics defined somewhere.

Also I believe we are not intending to design ALTO as the whole measurement system or measurement platform.
What ALTO server should do is to gather/aggregate/abstract/filter useful metrics in a standard way and  provide them
to the alto client or use them as filtering to choose appropriate endpoint to connect.

Regards!
-Qin