Re: [alto] Draft: Alto for the blockchain

Stefan HOMMES <Stefan.Hommes@uni.lu> Tue, 12 July 2016 09:24 UTC

From: Stefan HOMMES <Stefan.Hommes@uni.lu>
To: Shenshen Chen <cs90911@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:24:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.91.2.49]
Cc: "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Draft: Alto for the blockchain

Hello Chen,

thanks a lot for providing us a feedback to our draft. Here my comments to your mail:

1.       “Be more general-purpose for block chain”: That’s a good point. Indeed, the draft should not focus only on the Bitocin network but on blockchain in general, which was the reason why I have removed the Bitcoin part from the introduction and described it in a more general way. We will have a look on other chains as well.

2.       “Consider about security”: A good point as well. I am not sure how we should tackle this issue for the moment.

3.       “Let applications aware of the different roles”: In my opinion, there are two ways on how ALTO could answer to a request from a peer: (1) Either ALTO sends an information that is specific to the role of the peer that send the request, or (2) it proposes an answer that is independent of the role, meaning the answer can be used by all types of peers and the peer decides further based on his role. The second way reduces also the information that is provided to ALTO, which might be an advantage with regards to privacy. But I think that ALTO should have some information about the roles, in order to propose different routes by applying different kind of metrics. Of course the roles should be as general as possible, and not be linked to the Bitcoin networks since it is only one example of such a network. Is it foreseen to have such a functionality in ALTO?

Kind Regards,
Stefan