Re: [Anima] Whether IPv6 only for ACP? //RE: I-D Action: draft-behringer-anima-autonomic-addressing-01.txt

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> Fri, 26 June 2015 01:32 UTC

From: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>, "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <mbehring@cisco.com>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 01:32:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.99.197]
Cc: Duzongpeng <duzongpeng@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [Anima] Whether IPv6 only for ACP? //RE: I-D Action: draft-behringer-anima-autonomic-addressing-01.txt

Hi, Brian and Michael B,

In my reading, it seems we take a wrong argument here. What we are talking about is NOT stop IPv6-based ACP. It is remaining on our priority or default choice. Technically, I am not sure the possibility or feasibility IP independent. If yes, IP independent may be preferred over IPv6-only.

But meanwhile, a parallel IPv4-based ACP (or IP independent) mechanism should not bring any harm. IPv4 based Internet/networks are still having the motivation to improve itself. Particularly, many closed enterprise networks many remain IPv4-only for a while. Many IETF WG, such as DHC, are working on both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously, of course, with IPv4 in lower preference and priority.

"IPv4 management" use case for AN, running over an IPv6 ACP would also be an interest use case. It is valuable in the dual stack network or "running IPv4 as a service".

Regards,

Sheng