[Anima] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-anima-01-05: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 01 May 2019 20:05 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: anima-chairs@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 13:05:09 -0700
Subject: [Anima] Alissa Cooper's Block on charter-ietf-anima-01-05: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-anima-01-05: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-anima/

BLOCK:

(1) "Acceptance of work items by the WG will be scheduled/throttled so that
contributors can target them to enter WG last call after not more than a number
of IETF meeting cycles agreed by the AD."

I don't understand the implications of this. What happens if the adopted work
items have not entered WGLC after the agreed number of cycles? If the answer is
anything other than "the WG abandons the work," I don't understand how this is
a throttling mechanism. A throttling mechanism would need an explicit limit on
the number of adopted work items at any one time, I think.

(2) The proposed work items is a very large and somewhat unbounded list of
items, whereas the purpose of writing a charter is to scope the work of the WG
and hopefully set out a realistic work plan that will be accompanied by
deployment. For a WG that has produced 5 documents in the last 5 years, I think
the charter needs to more narrowly focus on the most highly prioritized work
items. Once those are nearing completion, it seems as though evaluation of what
is needed next based on deployment experience would then dictate the next set
of items for another re-charter.

COMMENT:

It would be good to see milestones with dates before this gets approved.

I think this charter would benefit from an English edit pass before going out for external review.

What is "compounding environment"?