Re: [Anima] Multicast in the ACP?

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 23 April 2015 14:42 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: anima@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:41:43 -0400
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Subject: Re: [Anima] Multicast in the ACP?

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> draft-behringer-anima-autonomic-control-plane >> is based on a hop by
    >> hop tunnel infrastructure. So far those tunnels >> are all point to
    >> point. I guess you can send a link-local multicast >> packet through
    >> such a tunnel, and it would automatically benefit from >> the security
    >> of that tunnel. But of course there is only one other >> node on that
    >> "link".
    >>
    >> > Right, so we would have to specify a "replicast", where the sender >
    >> copies the message to each ACP tunnel. That seems like a lot of >
    >> overhead.
    >>
    >> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast/
    >> describes a way to do multicast across that collection of
    >> links... that is if we can ever get it through the IESG.

    > Interesting. That looks like overkill for ACPs that run over
    > non-constrained networks, but it suggests to me that we need a modular
    > approach, so that it could be used in networks that call for it.

Given that the ACP's forwarding plane might be implemented in the control
plane processor, the mismatch between link speeds and available processing
power might cause one to conclude that while the network isn't constrained,
the router is!

I would consider, for instance, implementing the ACP as a user-space
virtual-machine in the control plane processor.  User-Mode-Linux can be
compiled to run on a bunch of POSIX platforms, although Linux and FreeBSD are
the ones most often tested.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-