[Anima] Adopting draft-richardson-anima-jose-voucher (was Re: Resending: Call for adoption: draft-richardson-anima-jose-voucher)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 16 July 2021 01:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 03:06:59 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: anima@ietf.org, draft-richardson-anima-jose-voucher@ietf.org
Subject: [Anima] Adopting draft-richardson-anima-jose-voucher (was Re: Resending: Call for adoption: draft-richardson-anima-jose-voucher)

Dear ANIMA WG, authors

All:

Thanks for the discussion about adoption of subject draft.
I have not seen any rejection to adoption but support.
ANIMA WG is hereby adopting the draft (see below for further justification).

Authors:

Please attempt to solve as many as possible of the textual details brought
up during the adoption call and then submit to datatracker (whenever it
permits it) a new revision as draft-ietf-anima-jose-voucher,
a chair will then accept it as a WG group draft.

All:

Wrt. to the discussions how to adopt, those seem to be subject to WG
chair decisions, so let me explain why i concluded the above:

-> ask for adoption in ANIMA or other WG based on best expertise:

   I don't think there is another WG better suited to adopt. Not only
   is JOSE concluded, but JOSE is also just one "tool" component utilized in the draft,
   whereas ANIMA is the solution group.

   In my past experience including RFC8366, its most often better to
   let the solution WG lead work on a solution draft. Iotops is another solution
   group, but in my past tracking of it not better than ANIMA, especially given how
   ANIMA is chartered with BRSKI extensions.

   The important thing already mentioned on the thread: we need to seek review
   from whatever group is the best expert for individual component
   questions, and i think we learned how to do this better through the
   past years of ANIMA charter round 1 review than we did originally.

-> Adopt individually or make part of rfc8366:

   We had discusssions about this in the constrained BRSKI design team call,
   and it seems very much as if the target delivery lines for the rfc8366bis and
   the JOSE voucher RFC can easily be quite different, JOSE voucher for
   example something that could be done very quickly, whereas rfc8366bis
   might want to linger around longer.

   Given how our experience with ANIMA round 1 was that we coalesced a lot
   of work into way too few RFC and given how this made review very
   painfull and slow (both WG, IETF and IESG), lets try to modularize
   work better now.

   What is the worst that can happen ? We could figure out later that we wanted to
   merge the JOSE voucher work back into rfc8366bis. So what ?! No harm done!

Cheers
    Toerless