Re: [Apn] Using IPv6 Flow Label for APN [was Re: Fwd: [IAB] IETF 111 reports: APN BOF]

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 03 August 2021 22:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 00:09:50 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>
Cc: "Pengshuping (Peng Shuping)" <pengshuping@huawei.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, apn <apn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Apn] Using IPv6 Flow Label for APN [was Re: Fwd: [IAB] IETF 111 reports: APN BOF]

Some IMHO useful operator opinion about IPv6 flow labels,
and if not, then at least great, subtle entertainment:

   https://bapk-videos.mamadrum.net/old/IETF-099-Prague-videos/03-joel-jaeggli-8.mp4

The humor may be a bit lost on you if you cannot imagine what amount
of pain and time in troubleshooting in a large data center went
into even figuring out what happened and then matching up with what the RFCs say.

Given my personal lack of similar experience with IPv6 flow label,
i will not voice an opinion here for myself, but if you listen to
6man recordings you will know i had what i would call very similar
experiences with router alert - bad specs, bad implementations,
bad interop in deployments.

IMHO: sometimes it is more prudent to leave the past behind, even if
you need to rebuild it (i hear BBB is a thing now anyhow).

Cheers
    Toerless