MIB II

Robert_Jeckell@3mail.3com.com Wed, 21 April 1993 22:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1993 14:02:00 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Robert_Jeckell@3mail.3com.com
Subject: MIB II
To: fahmy@vnet.ibm.com
Cc: apple-ip@cayman.com, Robert_Jeckell@3mail.3com.com

    Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 14:34:35 EDT
    From: "Adel Fahmy" <fahmy@vnet.IBM.COM>

    I have a comment, or query, on the use of the atportType to determine the
    format of addresses used in objects such as rtmpNextHop, zipZoneFrom, etc..

    My comment is specifically for the case when the portType is frame-relay,
    where the MIB suggests that the addresses be in DLCI format... well, in our
    implementation based on RFC 1294 (multiprotocol over frame-relay), these
    addresses (NextHop, etc...) are actually normal AppleTalk type addresses
    (net number, node id) which get mapped at the DLC layer into DLCIs (The
    Inarp process establishes the mapping).  What I'm trying to say is that
    since the subject addresses are at the AppleTalk address level, why are we
    using the DLCI format?  This argument would probably carry over to the X25
    case as well.  For ppp, however, and since no AppleTalk net number or node
    id needs to be assigned, the use of a null string seems to be appropriate.

There isn't a standard for running AppleTalk over Frame Relay as yet.  As a
result, there cannot be a value "FrameRelayTalk" for atportType.

We certainly ought to address at least router to router interaction for
AppleTalk over Frame Relay.  What you are doing is interesting and, if
possible, you might want to share your approach.  As I understand it, rfc1294
gives you a method of multiprotocol encapsulation, along with some references
to inverse arp (RFC 1293 IP).

Would you care to describe your use of inverse arp as it relates to AppleTalk?
Have you extended rfc1293?

For PPP, you may want to refer to the ATCP document.

/bob