MIB II

Adel Fahmy <fahmy@vnet.ibm.com> Tue, 20 April 1993 20:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1993 14:34:35 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Adel Fahmy <fahmy@vnet.ibm.com>
To: apple-ip@cayman.com
Subject: MIB II

I have a comment, or query, on the use of the atportType to determine
the format of addresses used in objects such as rtmpNextHop, zipZoneFrom, etc..

My comment is specifically for the case when the portType is frame-relay,
where the MIB suggests that the addresses be in DLCI format... well, in our
implementation based on RFC 1294 (multiprotocol over frame-relay),
these addresses (NextHop, etc...) are actually normal AppleTalk
type addresses (net number, node id) which get mapped at the DLC layer into
DLCIs (The Inarp process establishes the mapping).  What I'm trying to say
is that since the subject addresses are at the AppleTalk address level, why are
we using the DLCI format?  This argument would probably carry over to the
X25 case as well.  For ppp, however, and since no AppleTalk net number or
node id needs to be assigned, the use of a null string seems to be appropriate.

We're quite new at AppleTalk here (although we're learning fast!), but could
someone please address this comment!  Thanks.