Appletalk Network across Internet

mewan@iastate.edu Sun, 27 February 1994 07:02 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: mewan@iastate.edu
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 1994 23:53:52 -0600
To: apple-ip@cayman.cayman.com
Subject: Appletalk Network across Internet

Dear Sir:

Hello!  My name is Jude M. Mallawaaratchy, and I am a Proffessor of Mechanical
Engineering at Iowa State University.  I read your name on Internet in a
helpfile about Macintosh networking and wondered if you could please help me.

I own two Macintosh computers, one in Minnesota("MinnHD") and the other in
Iowa("IowaHD"), and both are connected to Internet and have their own IP
addresses.  IowaHD is serving as one of hundreds of campus-wide fileservers
in a network containing several Appletalk Zones.

Is it possible to somehow incorporate MinnHD into the Appletalk network in
Iowa State via Internet and thus allow me easy remote access to IowaHD and
other fileservers at Iowa State?

I currently use an ARA connection via modem to achieve this task.  But a
similar connection via Internet would be so much quicker and reliable than
any modem connection, and much more accessible than ftp.  I would really
appreciate any help or advice you could offer me on how to achieve my goal.

Thank you.
				Sincerely,
				Jude M. Mallawaaratchy
				mewan@iastate.edu