[apps-discuss] draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-04

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org> Sat, 12 March 2011 23:08 UTC

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:09:23 -0800
From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
To: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: [apps-discuss] draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-04

Greetings again. Although the WG chairs said that it was fine to bring
this document into the WG, I was hesitant to do so before dealing with
all the issues that were raised in the earlier discussion. Try as I
might, I wasn't able to resolve one significant issue, so I have kept
this as an individual submission, listed below.

The issue is listed in Appendix A of the new draft. If people agree that
one of the proposed solutions is fine, I can make that change and issue
a new draft for the WG after the window opens in Prague. I suspect that
there will be a lot of discussion of which proposal is best; if I'm
wrong, I apologize for not having seen it early and turning this into a
WG document before now.

--Paul Hoffman

==========

directories.

	Title           : Specifying That a Server Supports TLS
	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-04.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-03-12

A server that hosts applications that can be run with or without TLS
may want to communicate with clients whether the server is hosting an
application only using TLS or also hosting the application without
TLS.  Many clients have a policy to try to set up a TLS session but
fall back to insecure if the TLS session cannot be set up.  If the
server can securely communicate whether or not it can fall back to
insecure tells such a client whether or not they should even try to
set up an insecure session with the server.  This document describes
the use cases for this type of communication and a secure method for
communicating that information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-04.txt