Re: [apps-discuss] WEIRDS WG report

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Wed, 05 March 2014 05:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:22:52 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] WEIRDS WG report

On 2014/03/05 06:41, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> WEIRDS met today and discussed what we believe are its remaining issues.
>
> The group discussed the outcome of a design team meeting that tried to
> address two issues at once: the issue an imposed URI structure
> (draft-nottingham-uri-get-off-my-lawn) and the methodology by which to find
> an authoritative registry that can further delegate.  Both issues are being
> addressed by allowing a key-value table that supports longest-match lookups
> resulting in  URI templates that are then used to construct a query that
> will either return an answer or a redirection.  The WG will continue this
> discussion on its mailing list and select a path forward.  Participants
> were asked to open tracker items for any remaining issues on the open
> documents (query, redirection, bootstrapping) so they can be driven to
> resolution.

Regarding this point, Mark sent a mail to the W3C TAG (Technical
Architecture Group) a while ago, at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Feb/0068.html, and I
replied at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Feb/0079.html, switching
to defend the (former?) WEIRDS position. There was only one reply,
agreeing with me
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Feb/0080.html) but
probably better worded.

Looking at the above "key-value table that supports longest-match
lookups resulting in URI templates that are then used to construct a
query that will either return an answer or a redirection", this to me
smells like over-engineering even just when reading it (not to speak of
having to implement it).

Of course, if the WEIRDS WG is happy with that, I won't complain any
further, but I just wanted to mention this because I earlier supported
Mark and Tim on this list (and would still continue to do that if there
were no indirection at all in WEIRDS, i.e. if e.g. WEIRDS was requiring
top-level directories with fixed names).

Regards,   Martin.