RE: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-site-meta-05.txt

Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> Thu, 04 February 2010 00:44 UTC

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>, Apps Discuss <discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:44:58 -0800
Subject: RE: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-site-meta-05.txt
acceptlanguage: en-US

My comment, Eran, was editorial.

I've had this in my mailbox and not replied because I keep on
stumbling over:

> "Metadata is a word or phrase, not a technical term."

This is a technical document. It defines a mechanism, and says
it is good for "metadata". It doesn't define the term
"metadata", although that's the use case....

"a method for locating host metadata".

> In the context of this draft, it generally means "information about".

The document doesn't say that. That wouldn't be
so bad if the use of the term corresponded to the common
use of the term "metadata", but it doesn't match.

> I don't see the need for the document to say anything
>  more than it currently does.

Effective human communication means that a document
that uses terms should

* attempt to use terms with their conventional meaning
* in the case of possible confusion (conventional meaning
  is ambiguous, or the document's usage doesn't match
  the conventional meaning), the document should define
  the term.

> It would be a waste of everyone's time if the
> process of reviewing and approving
> registrations will involve a discussion
> of the metadata-ness of the proposed document.

What a bizarre idea. How about something simple, like
changing the Abstract to say:

   This memo describes a method for locating host
   metadata for Web-based protocols. In this document,
   the word "metadata" is used in the general sense
   of "information about".

 [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-hostmeta