Re: [apps-discuss] Applications Directorate Review of draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched-11

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de> Thu, 08 March 2012 13:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 14:25:27 +0100
From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched.all@tools.ietf.org, Peter Saint-Andre <Peter.SaintAndre@webex.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, 'IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Applications Directorate Review of draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched-11

On 2012-03-08 14:18, Eliot Lear wrote:

>>> I would reword- "This document inherits and extends DTD productions..."
>>>
>>> If so, should this specification update RFC4918 in rfc-index.txt?
>>
>> This is similar to other specs building on WebDAV, and we haven't done
>> that (saying "updates") before.
>>
>>> §2.1.1, pg 11, and similar text in §2.2.1, pg 13, §2,4,1, pg 14, and
>>> similar:

>>> Why SHOULD NOT and not MUST NOT?  How should the client interpret the
>>> information, if returned?
>>
>> SHOULD NOT is right; returning it does no harm. Also, it's consistent
>> with other WebDAV specs. Having SHOULD NOT in one place and MUST NOT
>> somewhere else would be awkward.
>
> Great.  What's the client behavior if it sees it?

Essentially, the client didn't ask for the property but the server has
sent it anyway. The client can throw it away, or keep it for later use
(the latter case would be an edge case, because if the client had been
interested, it would have asked for the property right away).

>>> Throughout:
>>>
>>> Tables should be numbered for reference.
>>
>> If this is supposed to be a general rule, I would object to it. It's a
>> matter of style, and thus should be discussed in the RFC style manual,
>> if it ever gets updated.
>
> No it's not.  It's for internal referencing.

I just checked the spec and couldn't see any case where the tables being
numbered would have made referencing them easier.

IMHO, "the table below" is more helpful as "table NN" and then having
the tables being numbered. Things would be different if the references
were more complex, or in a more complex presentation where tables might
be moved around (which we do not do in RFCs).

Best regards, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782