Re: [apps-discuss] FW: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-scheme-reg-05.txt

Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> Tue, 31 March 2015 18:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:10:38 +0100
From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-scheme-reg.all@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] FW: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-scheme-reg-05.txt

On 29/03/2015 21:05, John C Klensin wrote:
> (reposting -- the IETF mail system apparently didn't like the
> "implicit" copy to apps-discuss)
>
> --On Sunday, March 29, 2015 15:05 +0100 Alexey Melnikov
> <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I've issued the ballot; I'll wait to change the
>>> state until I hear that your co-authors & shepherd are OK
>>> with it.
>> This is almost perfect :-).
>>
>> A couple of comments:
>> Here is a real world example of a problem with this text. SIDR
>> WG decided to use rsync protocol, they needed to use rsync
>> URIs. rsync URIs are currently provisional, defined in an
>> Informational RFC.  So this text is basically saying that
>> under the new rule the registration have to be upgraded to
>> Permanent, allowing the expert reviewer (no disrespect to
>> Graham or his future replacement) to be a person that blocks
>> consensus of a WG to use a particular technology. I find this
>> to be problematic.
>>
>> Do people agree that this is problematic?
>
> Yes.

To a point, but I think it should be resolvable (I'm responding without
cross-checking the original or revised registration procedure).

Under the circumstances that a WG has achieved consensus to use a particular
scheme, I think there's sufficient grounds to upgrade its registration to
permanent.  I think a request to do so should come from the WG concerned (I
think that's doable within the current and new spec), and preferably as part of
the IANA considerations for the spec that uses it.  That would bring the issue
to DE's attention with appropriate context.

I don't think think this gives the DE any greater power of veto than they
already have with respect to a WG consensus request to register a new permanent
scheme.

#g