Re: [apps-discuss] [Errata Rejected] RFC6365 (4005)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 11 June 2014 18:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:43:12 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, paul.hoffman@vpnc.org
Cc: barryleiba@computer.org, iesg@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] [Errata Rejected] RFC6365 (4005)

Sigh.

Folks, I apologize, but I'm very busy, not feeling well, have
zero support for any IETF-related or
Internet-protocol-development-related work (nothing new -- that
has been the case for more than a decade and is partially my
choice to avoid conflicts of loyalties), and have to prioritize
work.  When I get under pressure to get things done, I tend to
write a little too quickly and leave things out.  On the other
hand, when I put in all the details, people attack me for that.
In the last week (and, less specifically, the last few weeks),
I've also felt, perhaps incorrectly, that issues that affected
the PRECIS and URNBIS WGs, and even some policy issues on which
I've got some special experience or perspective, should take
precedence over a detailed response to the comments about this
proposed erratum.   Before someone asks, submitting it was
consistent with those priorities, promoted by the introduction
of "ASCII7" (a term not covered in 6365) in
draft-ietf-precis-framework.

Given that the hasty and sloppy way in which I wrote the erratum
note caused some justifiably-negative comments and a bit of
confusion, I didn't want to respond to the various notes,
especially Ned's, until I had time to do so adequately.  A
partially-written response has been on my machine, being worked
on at intervals to make it tight and clear, since a few hours
after Ned's note was posted.  I assume it is now OBE and that,
if I want to reopen this, it should be in a new draft erratum
that is written as precisely and in as much detail as I can
manage.

In the interim and partially in my defense, I am perfectly aware
of what a "charset" is and equally aware of the use of
"US-ASCII" in the charset context.  I am also aware of the
difference between a coded character set, encodings, and a
repertoire, including, btw, the fact that none of our normal,
Internet, use of the ASCII repertoire in an eight bit
form/encoding (one of at least two that were in use at one time
and distinct from two seven bit encodings I'm aware of and at
least one nine-bit one) isn't specified anywhere in the ASCII
standard.  That is one of the two reasons I've encouraged the
use of normative references in RFCs to RFC 20 rather than X3.4
(or especially the more recent ANSI/INCITS 4).  I have even
argued that the choice of "US-ASCII" as a charset identifier was
a good idea, precisely because it identified one particular
combination of a CCS and encoding.  That was precisely the "IETF
artifact" I was referring to, obviously without going into
enough detail.   And, if the term "artifact" wasn't chosen
carefully enough from the range of alternatives, I'm sorry, but
note that the proposed erratum was intended (I thought clearly)
more to flag the issue for readers and as a memory aid for any
future update or revision, not as definitive text.

I had thought that 6365 itself clearly explained the
CCS-Encoding-Repertoire-Charset distinctions and that I was
writing in that context. Given the discussion, probably I was
wrong and someone should take another look at that.  I do note
that 6365 does use both "ASCII" and "US-ASCII".  I thought that
had been done consistent with references to the ASCII standard,
repertoire, and CCS and the US-ASCII charset.   On rereading
somewhat over a week ago, I was less convinced that we were
consistent enough about that.  That was another thing that
prompted the erratum posting.  It also helped cause the delay in
responding to last week's comments because I wanted to go back
through 6365, check every use of either term, and identify which
ones were candidates for correction or clarification before
creating more misunderstanding.

So much for that idea.

regretfully,
    john

--On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 02:19 -0700 RFC Errata System