Re: [apps-discuss] request for review: draft-bvandervalk-sadi-00.txt (individual submission)

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Thu, 23 February 2012 08:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:10:34 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: Ben Vandervalk <ben.vvalk@gmail.com>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] request for review: draft-bvandervalk-sadi-00.txt (individual submission)

I skimmed through this with some interest, but I feel (with some regret) that I
must agree with Tim Bray that the IETF is probably not the right venue for this.
  I have two main technical reasons for saying this:

(1) it does not really define any new protocol in the sense that IETF generally
defines protocols; rather it defines a (quite reasonable) pattern of use for
HTTP for a particular class of web services.

(2) the "protocol" described is quite specific in the content types it deals
with (just RDF), which I feel means it is not the kind of common
infrastructure-layer element that the IETF would normally consider.

None of this means that the work is without merit, or not worthy of wider
review.  In particular, I note that it may find early applicability outside
bioinformatics in areas such as open government data applications where there is
significant use of RDF.

Suggestions I offer to present this to a wider audience are:
- I would expect that a proposal like this would likely gain more traction in
W3C.  In the first instance, there might be a possibility to see if the W3C HCLS
group would be interested to review this and publish it as a W3C Note.
- If you feel it really has applicability to communities beyond those who engage
with W3C activities, it might be a candidate for individual submission as an
informational RFC; though there no guarantee that it will get extensive review
on that route.  (There is a "precedent" in BEEP (formerly BXXP) for
specifications being first published by that route, and later becoming formally
standardized as http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3080.txt - though I don't know that
it's widely used).

There may well be other, better ways to develop this work - those are just a
couple of suggestions that occur to me.

Best,

#g