Re: [apps-discuss] AppsDir review of draft-dbider-sha2-mac-for-ssh-05

"Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@juniper.net> Wed, 11 April 2012 00:50 UTC

To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
From: "Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@juniper.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:50:06 -0700
Sender: mdb@juniper.net
Cc: draft-dbider-sha2-mac-for-ssh.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] AppsDir review of draft-dbider-sha2-mac-for-ssh-05

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> writes:

> I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
> this draft (for background on appsdir, please see
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate
> ).
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document
> shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>
> Document: draft-dbider-sha2-mac-for-ssh-05
> Title: SHA-2 Data Integrity Verification for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport
>         Layer Protocol
>
> Reviewer: S. Moonesamy
> Review Date: April 10, 2012
> IETF Last Call Date: April 16, 2012
> IESG Telechat Date: April 26, 2012

> The draft defines algorithm names and parameters for use of some of
> the SHA-2 family of secure hash algorithms for data integrity
> verification in SSH protocol.  It updates RFC 4253.
>
> Nits:
>
> In the Abstract Section:
>
>    "It also updates RFC4253 by specifying a new RECOMMENDED data
>     integrity algorithm."
>
> Should the word "RECOMMENDED" be interpreted as a RFC 2119 key word?

Yes, the word "RECOMMENDED" given in both the Abstract and in section
"2. Data Integrity Algorithms" is a RFC 2119 key word as is specified in
section "1.1. Requirements Terminology" of document
draft-dbider-sha2-mac-for-ssh-05.

Please advise any changes needed to the document to make this clearer.

> In Section 3:
>
>   "IANA is requested to update the SSH algorithm registry with the
>    following entries."
>
> Shouldn't that be the Secure Shell MAC Algorithm Names registry?

Yes. I was uncertain how to properly address the registry.

The intent is to properly reference the "Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol
Parameters" document under the "MAC Algorithm Names" section. This is
the URL:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ssh-parameters/ssh-parameters.xml#ssh-parameters-18

and the related text format of that document:

http://www.ietf.org/assignments/ssh-parameters/ssh-parameters.txt

to the table to be updated properly with the new MACs.

Please advise as to the correct method to reference the IANA registry as
needed for section 3. Should the text in section 3 be rewritten as:

   IANA is requested to update the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol
   Parameters "MAC Algorithm Names" registry with the following
   entries:

or is some other method of reference needed?

	Thank you,
	-- Mark