Re: [apps-discuss] draft-wilde-xml-patch-08

Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> Tue, 25 March 2014 15:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:53:14 -0400
From: Tony Hansen <tony@att.com>
To: Apps-Discusssion <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
Cc: Nevil Brownlee <rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] draft-wilde-xml-patch-08

This is a review of draft-wilde-xml-patch-08.

Document: draft-wilde-xml-patch-08.txt
Title: A Media Type for XML Patch Operations
Author: Erik Wilde
Reviewer: Tony Hansen
Review Date: March 25, 2014

Some minor issues are described below that should be considered. This
document is otherwise ready to be published.

Please resolve these comments along with any other comments you may receive.

     Tony Hansen

Major issues: none

    The XML Patch media type "application/xml-patch+xml" defines an XML
    document structure for expressing a sequence of patch operations that
    are applied to an XML document.
    The XML Patch media type "application/xml-patch+xml" defines an XML
    document structure for expressing a sequence of patch operations >>>to
    be<<< applied to an XML document.

just changing the comma after "RFC 5261" to a period.

    " The XML Patch document format's
    foundations are defined in RFC 5261, this specification defines a
    document format and a media type registration, so that XML Patch
    documents can be labeled with a media type, for example in HTTP
    conversations."

Actually, on rereading the abstract, I'm thinking it would be better
expressed like the following. The primary focus of the I-D is the
document format itself. The media type registration is a secondary
consideration. In the following, I tried not to change your points, just
the ordering and emphasis.

    The XML Patch document format defines an XML
    document structure for expressing a sequence of patch operations to
    be applied to an XML document.  The XML Patch document format
    builds on the foundations defined in RFC 5261. This specification
defines the
    also provides the media type registration "application/xml-patch+xml",
    to allow the use of XML Patch documents in, for example, HTTP
conversations.

offset them more.

a before and after example of applying the principle described there.

For example, after the second paragraph in section 2.2, add something
like the following. (I think I got the conversion right below.)

vvvvvv ====== vvvvvv
For example, consider the patch example in RFC 5621 Appendix A.1. Adding
an Element. The patch
is shown there as an XML diff document:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <diff>
    </diff>

With XML Patch, this would be converted to

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

"It described" => "It describes"

"XMPL Patch" => "XML Patch"

There needs to be a pointer to the ABNF spec, RFC 5234, where things
like DIGIT and DQUOTE are defined.
I did not review in detail the ABNF grammar itself.