Re: [appsdir] AppsDir review of draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 04 June 2012 20:59 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: "'Murray S. Kucherawy'" <msk@cloudmark.com>, appsdir@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org, draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:59:12 +0100
Cc: 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [appsdir] AppsDir review of draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions

Hi Murray,

Sorry for a delayed reply...

> document, modulo my two issues for discussion below.
>
> Major Issues:
>
> 1. Should this not be a BCP?  The polk draft describes ways to encourage
> compliance, while this one talks about penalties for non-compliance.  That
> seems too severe for Informational status, while the polk draft can
> probably get away with it.

My thinking was that this does not define any new process and doesn't even
recommend their use. It just makes sure people remember the options exist.

Barry seems to think "not a BCP" as well.

Maybe we leave this to the IESG?

> Minor Issues:
>
> 1. Are all the URL references in here permanent?  I’m not sure about things
> like [URLIESGIPR], for example, since it points to a wiki.

I am not sure the URLs must be permanent. Sure we would like them to be "stable"
but the RFC Editor seems to say that a URL is acceptable where no better
reference can be found. Additionally, this is "only" an Informative reference.

Can we leave this, and fix it if the RFC Editor complains?

> Nits:

Useful and accepted, except...

> 3. Section 2.4: s/to be clearly understood/to be understood clearly/

This is largely stylistic and a lot of stuff is said about split infinitives.
Here I intended to stress clarity not understanding.
I am sure the RFC Editor will apply house style.

Thanks,
Adrian